Happy Monday, my little elves! I hope you guys had an incredible Thanksgiving and that the long weekend gave you some time to soak up much needed r&r. I’m getting back into the swing of things today and I’m kickin’ it off with an easy, peasy, at-home beef + broccoli recipe!
I know a bunch of y’all like to meal plan at the beginning of the week, so now you can toss this guy into your dinner rotation. It’s healthier than the take-away version and can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes. In my book, we’re lookin’ at a win-win situation!
3 tablespoons flour (or cornstarch), divided
1/2 cup water (more if you like the sauce to be runnier)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb boneless beef chunks (I buy beef blocks so they are already cut up)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 head of broccoli — chopped into florets (more if you like, of course!)
1 small onion cut into wedges
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ginger paste (you can use ginger powder, but I prefer the fresh stuff)
rice or quinoa to serve on the side
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons flour + 2 tablespoons water + garlic powder until smooth and paste like.
- Put the cut beef blocks in a bowl + toss with the above mixture. Optional: allow to sit and marinate if you have the time.
- In a wok, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss the beef into the pan and allow the beef to brown to your level of doneness. Remove from the pan, drain the extra grease, and set aside (I like to put the beef in a warm oven, but you can just put it to the side if you want.)
- During this time, make your sauce. Mix together soy sauce + brown sugar + ginger + remaining 1 tablespoon of flour + water. Combine until smooth.
- Now, add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to wok and add in broccoli florets + onion wedges. Stir-fry for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Return the beef to the wok with the broccoli and onions. Add the sauce from Step 4 and continue to cook everything together for 2-3 minutes. Turn off stove and allow the sauce to thicken to the extent you like. If you’d rather have a runny sauce, add more water!
- That’s it, you’re done. Serve your beef + broccoli over rice or quinoa and enjoy!
Chinese food is one of my go-to staples for ordering in, so having a quick version I can make at home is 💯. If you try it out, let me know and be sure to share any changes you make/try out too!
Recipe adapted from here.