Hey Negative Nancy, Enough Please.

But for real.

do not know what is going on lately, but holy shit, y’all. What is it with all these negative people that keep popping up in life. Listen, I do my best to be one of those happy, upbeat people on the daily. And God knows that I have days where I struggle hard with putting on a smiley face & getting on with my day.

hey negative nancy, enough already.

But on those days, instead of injecting my issues & sad/frustrating drama onto every.single.person I speak to, I just shut down for the day.

If you’re one of my texting/IRL friends, you know what I’m talking about.

Friend A: Hey! How are you doing? How’s the day?
Me: Hey! Thanks for checking in, but I’m having a crap day and there’s a lot going on, so I’ll be back later when I’m up for chatting. ❤️
Me: *puts phone on DND*

Whether it’s 5 hours later or 24 hours later, when my mood is better and I’m done handling my dramatic business, I come back to life; with a freakin’ smile on. My bad day does not need to be discussed every single time it happens. And it sure as hell does not need to be dumped on my friends constantly.

While my friends are there to give me love and be my support system, it is not their job to to be my burden-dumpster. I don’t know what they are feeling or going through day-to-day, so instead of being a negative force in their life, I would much rather bring them laughter & happiness!

If I’m feeling frustrated, I talk to my husband. When things feel like they are spinning out of control, I say some prayers. And sometimes, when I need to vent it all out to a girlfriend, I do.

Because, we all know the saying: everything in moderation. And that goes 100% for all the negativity that people are throwing around these days.

So the next time you feel these thoughts running through your mind (and you’ve already used up your quota of being a drama queen for the day/week/month/year), try this:

1. I’m so tired. Go to bed early. Skip all the excuses about work not being finished, or the laundry not being folded, just.go.to.bed.
  2. There is so much to be done and I’m stressed out. Find a piece of paper and a pen. Or pull out your calendar. Write down your tasks for the hours they need to be done in. Do them. The end.
  3. No one understands how I feel. Yes, trust me, they do. They might not be dealing with exactly what you are, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have enough on their plate to deal with.
  4. I need a break. You’re an adult. Take one. Seriously, it’s that simple. Put your phone away. Step away from your desk. Make a cup of coffee. Just take the freakin’ break.

Can y’all tell that this topic absolutely fires me up?! Haha. But really, am I the only crazy person who feels this way or do y’all get where I’m coming from here? Please someone say I’m not alone 🤣

August 2, 2017 at 3:18 PM

i am here for alllllll of this girlfriend. life is just, just friggen nuts sometimes. i need to do more of this self love stuff where i just put technology away and take a friggen breath. i have been stressed lately and haven’t even realized it until i got this eye twitch that won’t go away for TWO weeks now. anyway, cheers to all the self love, and just being real. <3

Pinky
    August 2, 2017 at 6:42 PM

Oh how true, how true. I had to remove someone from my life because the negative EVERY MORNING was dragging me down. Everything had a something, it’s too cold, it’s too hot, the sun is too bright, it’s too cloudy, i’m tired, i hate my boyfriend’s friends and on and on, with nothing DONE about anything. ENOUGH!

I was exhausted so last night I went to bed at 8pm. Things needed to be done but I needed sleep so I took it. Great post, thanks for sharing.

Britany (Dash In-Between)
    August 2, 2017 at 11:20 PM

I am super sensitive to negative energy as well, and try my very best to take the positive route on most things. With saying that, I also believe that sharing/venting/getting it out of your system is super healthy! My hubby, sister, mum, besties are a lifeline for me and I totally think it’s okay to pour your heart out even if it’s negative. BUT like you said, everything in moderation. It cant be everyday (for those that are like this, tough love is the remedy) and I will NEVER understand people that post “Today sucks” or “Sad :(” on facebook and then if someone comments “what’s up Hun” the response is “I’ll send you a DM” or “Just life….” (!!!!!) this is actually a huge pet peeve of mine! If you’re day is sooooo crappy that you have to post a status about it at least be specific or don’t post the status and call/text a friend for support. Anyways rant over! Love your positivity 🙂

August 3, 2017 at 3:48 PM

I am so with you. I have a friend who, years ago, I just had to stop hanging out with for a while. EVERY single time we were together, nothing was OK. Shoes too tight, bar too noisy, life too sucky. I get it, but that attitude isn’t helping and your complete disinterest in seeing any positivity is only making worse. That’s toxic as hell. Even lately I’ve noticed some people I follow on Instagram and Twitter only ever post rants and negative stuff. I love a good rant now and then, but if every single day sucks because you can’t get over your train being late or the weather not being perfect, you need to do some work on yourself and I need to get your negativity away from me for a bit.

I’m like you; when I need to get something off my chest, I’ll usually vent a little bit to David. But he has his own negativity and it’s not fair for me to burden him with mine too. Usually I just need an attitude adjustment, I firmly believe that’s something every adult should be able to do for themselves most of the time.

Allison Arnone
    August 3, 2017 at 6:57 PM

I love to poke fun of things and rant but truthfully, I hate excessive negativity too. I hate complainers. Whiners. The woe-is-me, doom and gloom mentality. Every once in a while it’s fine and justified, but I’m pretty self-aware of doing it and knock it off, QUICK. No one wants to be around that!

chelsea jacobs