Coffee Chatter: Part I

Hi friends! I’m back in Amsterdam, which means I’m back on the blog 🎉! With my coffee in hand, let’s have a little catch up, yes?

Coffee Chatter | That Girl Myra

If we were having coffee, I’d tell you…

| That the reason I go missing on the blog when I go to Houston is because I like to be present with my family & friends. Shutting down my social media (other than the one off interactions) allows me to just enjoy my time in the actual moment. And to be honest, I feel like we all don’t do that enough anymore.

| I was harassed on my flight back to Amsterdam yesterday. I could write a whole blog post on the situation, but I’d like to move past it, so here’s the short version. While I was watching a movie & LB was chattering happily, an older man approached me. After tapping my shoulder and proceeding to tell me that I needed “to get her [LB] to shut up,” I informed the flight attendants that this man was making me uncomfortable. From there the situation continually escalated. Between the man approaching me another 2 times (even after flight crew informed him that they would call the police) and then having him waiting for me after deplaning, I have been nothing short of shook up & entirely drained. I’m so thankful for the flight crew and the amount of help/care that they provided. I’m also thankful to the police officers who met me at the plane & escorted me until I safely met up with Amir. And to the other passengers on the flight who 1. voluntarily switched seats to get the man away from me, 2. followed me off the plane & walked ahead of me to keep an eye out, and 3. came by to give me some words of comfort, thank you too. What wonderful people you all are!

Friends, if someone, ANYONE, ever harasses and gives you trouble, speak up. Do not let them scare you into silence. There are so many good people out there willing to help.

| I’ve read some seriously sub-par books lately. The one I’ve got queued up was highly recommended though, so fingers crossed it turns out to be a page-turner! Book update coming soon, promise.

| We are going to ICELAND in a few weeks and I can’t wait. If you’ve ever been, please send me all of your recommendations!

| My girl, Tara (you know her from all our 🍔 dates!), and her hubs are coming to visit us this week in Amsterdam. Excited is the biggest understatement ever. It’s so fun seeing friends in our part of the world & showing them a part of our life overseas!!

We’re battling with a little jet lag & my current cup of coffee isn’t cutting it, so I’m off to make another round and then maybe, take a nap! Haha.

How are y’all doing?! Catch me up!

April 3, 2017 at 2:22 PM

omg that plane incident. what is wrong with people?! but you’re right – i’m glad you didn’t stay silent and you had a support system on the plane. people are insane. glad you’re home safe! and yes to unplugging when you’re with family and enjoying the moment. so so important! i’m trying to do more of that lately and another reason i’ve been a little more inconsistent with the blog. life comes first!

April 12, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Oh girl, it was just too much for me to process. I just honestly couldn’t believe someone had the audacity to not only act like a jerk but then try and get in my face about it over & over. Ridiculous. And AMEN to life coming first! I have been all about that lately! xo

Miranda
    April 3, 2017 at 2:52 PM

People are so awful sometimes…I just don’t understand it! I’m sorry you had to deal with that terrible man, but I’m really glad you had so many people backing you up. Iceland…that’s awesome! Definitely on my list of must see places. Happy Monday! 🙂

April 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM

Thank you, friend. I was definitely lucky (and beyond grateful) for the amazing people who took the time to stand up for me! Eek, I can’t wait to tell y’all about Iceland. I am SO excited, haha!

Kate
    April 3, 2017 at 6:22 PM

Oh my gosh, that’s awful; I’m so sorry that happened to you but thankful that you were surrounded by kind strangers who had your back.

I’ve been dying to go to Iceland. Have so much fun!

April 12, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Me too, girl, me too! I’m so thankful for the good people who took the time to be there with me in solidarity. It definitely helped keep me more calm than I wanted to be, haha! I cannot wait for Iceland! Almost time! xo

Leslie
    April 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM

I’m so sorry you had such a scary plane experience! I don’t understand why people act they way they do sometimes?? Why do they think they have the right to do things like that?!

April 4, 2017 at 9:18 PM

I’m glad there were plenty of good people around you to help. Some people are just born assholes.

April 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM

🙌🏾 Nailed it, girl.

April 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM

Ugh, I am SO MAD at that man. How dare he try to intimidate you like that?! I am so sorry you had to go through that, and hope LB wasn’t aware enough of what he was doing to be scared. So happy and grateful to hear of the people who had your back. <3

April 12, 2017 at 1:35 PM

It was so insane that I was in shock during the whole flight. I spent the whole time with my hand on LB’s carseat because I was just so uncomfortable. Thank goodness for good people in the world! They were definitely the extra good vibes I needed on my side. xo

Audrey
    April 11, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Chelsea’s blog brought me here today to read your plane story- how absolutely TERRIBLE. People are the absolute worst sometimes (that man) and the absolute greatest (all the folks who helped you). I am so sad that this happened to your family. Good for you for speaking up to the flight attendants and shame on that man for forgetting that a) we’re all humans and being nice goes a long way and b) HE WAS A BABY ONCE, TOO!
    Man, that makes me angry.

April 12, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Thank you for coming by! And welcome!!

I truly (still) don’t understand what the problem was for him. Sofia was playing and chattering — and even if she HAD been screaming — like children do! Some people though will never take the time to be good people or realize that they also used to be annoying children at times. Fingers crossed for never having to deal with this kind of situation again!

Krystal // The Krystal Diaries
    April 11, 2017 at 4:11 PM

Um what is wrong with people! That man was so incredibly rude. I’m glad there were people on the plane willing to help you out in that situation. It’s nice to hear when people stick up for others.

April 12, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Agreed!! It also taught me, yet again, that when I see someone in trouble that I NEED to step up and not ignore it. Those people who stood up for me really helped ease my fears as much as was possible during that flight!

Rachel G
    April 12, 2017 at 12:18 AM

I’m so sorry about that experience you had on your flight! That sounds awful. But good that people stepped up and did the right thing. And Iceland sounds amazing!

April 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Thank you, lovely. It was not a fun experience & I hope it’s never repeated again. I can’t wait to share about Iceland after our trip! I’m so excited about it that I could squeal, haha. xo

Jess
    April 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM

That is seriously crazy! I’m glad there were people who helped you. I’ve been to Iceland – My husband and I went a couple years ago – it’s one of the most amazing experiences we’ve had. We rented a camper van and drove the entire Ring Road. One of my top recommendations would be the Myvatn Nature Baths. It’s similar to the Blue Lagoon but it was not crowded and all and it was incredible. So relaxing to float around in the hot springs, even if they do smell like eggs. If you’re seeing the sights around Reykjavik, I’d recommend going early since the tour groups start showing up later in the morning/afternoon.

April 12, 2017 at 1:39 PM

Me too, girl, me too!

OHH I’ll definitely add that to our list so that we can check out the Nature Baths! We are going to do as much of the Ring Road as we can since we’re only there for a few days. I am so freakin’ excited! Good note on Reykjavik too because we do have it in our plans to do a little site seeing around there! xo

Christina Mapes
    April 19, 2017 at 2:22 AM

I can’t believe that happened to you on the plane! How amazing for everyone else to offer help. What a jerk!