that book thing

Books Lately | Vol. I

I’m late to the party with this post (spoiler alert: forgot to write it in my planner)! But, I’ve been on a reading spree lately and am loving it. It’s been a while since I’ve done this, so I’m excited to share some of my recent reads with y’all!

Books Lately - Show Us Your Books | That Girl Myra 1

MUST READS

Find You in the Dark Goodreads

Find You in the Dark: “Maggie Young had the market on normal. Normal friends, normal parents, normal grades.. normal life. Until him.

Clayton Reed was running from his past and an army of personal demons that threatened to take him down. He never thought he had a chance at happiness. Until her.” via Goodreads

Ok, let me just say right now that the synopsis I’ve shared does no justice for this book. This is not a cutesy, high school love story. The story is based around mental illness and first loves. It delves into how mental illness can affect the person who has the illness, but also how it affects people around them. It also shows how easily being in love with someone can make it hard to see when you’re in a bad place. This book shook me to my core, but it was one I didn’t want to put down. 4.5/5.0 stars

HELPS PASS THE TIME

Sweet Thing GoodreadsSweet Thing: “You have to teach your heart and mind how to sing together… then you’ll hear the sound of your soul.”

Mia Kelly thinks she has it all figured out. She’s an Ivy League graduate, a classically trained pianist, and the beloved daughter of a sensible mother and offbeat father. Yet Mia has been stalling since graduation, torn between putting her business degree to use and exploring music, her true love.” via Goodreads

I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read, a good story, and I enjoyed the character development. It does get a little slow in the middle, but I thought it was a good way to progress the story in a real way! If you’re looking for a light read, pick this one up. 4.0/5.0 stars

Scrappy Little Nobody Goodreads

Scrappy Little Nobody: “A collection of humorous autobiographical essays by the Academy Award-nominated actress and star of Up in the Air and Pitch Perfect.

Even before she made a name for herself on the silver screen starring in films like Pitch PerfectUp in the AirTwilight, and Into the Woods, Anna Kendrick was unusually small, weird, and “10 percent defiant.”” via Goodreads

I love Anna Kendrick, so it was no surprise that this book was on my to-read list. I listened to it on audiobook on treadmill days & found myself laughing more than once. If you’re a fan of AK, then I highly suggest this book! Bonus: she reads the audiobook herself which I really enjoyed. 4.0/5.0 stars

NOT WORTH IT

Truly Madly Guilty Goodreads

Truly Madly Guilty: “Six responsible adults. Three cute kids. One small dog. It’s just a normal weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

Sam and Clementine have a wonderful, albeit, busy life: they have two little girls, Sam has just started a new dream job, and Clementine, a cellist, is busy preparing for the audition of a lifetime. If there’s anything they can count on, it’s each other.” via Goodreads

This is the second Liane Moriarty book that I’ve had trouble with recently. I’m a big fan of other books of hers, but this one was a let down for me. I thought it was extremely slow, there was very little character development, and overall, I was bored. I dragggggggged out the reading of this book and almost wish I would’ve just skipped it altogether. However, I do know that others have loved this book, so it’s probably a toss up if you’re a LM fan.

CURRENTLY READING

Light in the Shadows

And now, time to hop over and see what some of y’all have been reading so I can add to my to-read list!

Linking up with Jana & Steph today.

February 15, 2017 at 3:21 PM

ah good rec’s! find you in the dark looks really good! you’re right – the synopsis does it no justice with your description. adding to my list 🙂

February 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM

It was reaaallly good. But also sad. I’m only warning you so that you know what to expect. I saw a lot of people like “wtf how could you like this book, it’s so twisted,” but I think that’s the whole point of the story. Let me know what you think of it! xo

SMD @ Life According to Steph
    February 15, 2017 at 5:04 PM

I might check out Find You in the Dark! Thanks for the rec and thanks for joining us!

February 21, 2017 at 4:58 PM

I’d love to know your thoughts if you read it! Looking forward to the next link-up already 😉 xo

Carly
    February 15, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Truly Madly Guilty felt like the longest book ever and once I finally got to the end I wished I have just given up on it- it was soo dull! I loved Swear on This Life by Carlino, so I’ve been curious about her other books!

February 21, 2017 at 4:59 PM

Oh! I have Swear on This Life on my to-read list! I’ve read two of her books so far and they’ve both been good. TGM really was so freakin’ dull. I just could not get into it AT ALL. I’m taking a break from her books for a bit. xo

chelsea jacobs
    February 15, 2017 at 7:19 PM

Totally buying Anna’s book on audible!!

Biana
    February 16, 2017 at 3:43 AM

It’s funny that LM is such a hit or miss author – some books I love, some I dont like!! Sweet thing sounds great!! Definitely adding it to my reading list! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

February 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Agreed! I’ve really enjoyed some of her other books, but I’m 2 for 2 on the recent ones I’ve picked up of hers just not working out. Hopefully the next one of hers I get will be good. In the mean time I’ll watch Big Little Lies and indulge all of it! xo

Joey
    February 17, 2017 at 1:18 AM

Nooooo! I have Truly, Madly, Guilty on my to read list and it’s sitting on my kindle right now! I’m willing to bet though that if you didn’t like it I won’t either. Also–how on earth do you have so much time to read? I didn’t have time to get out of my pajamas yesterday….

February 21, 2017 at 5:01 PM

It’s truly a maddening read. It made me want to pull my hair out with how slow, boring, and dragged out it was. Frustrating! Hahaha, I read a lot at night instead of watching TV, on the weekends, and normally whenever I have some quiet down time. You can do it, friend! xo

Kate
    February 17, 2017 at 5:48 PM

That was my first Liane Moriarty book, & while I liked it, I wouldn’t say I enjoyed it. It was sort of a brutal reading experience. Like, it could’ve been 25% shorter & WAY more readable.

February 21, 2017 at 5:01 PM

RIGHT. I just think LM has such better books and I wish she would go back to it. Check out What Alice Forgot or The Husband’s Secret. I enjoyed both of those from her. xo

February 21, 2017 at 6:56 PM

I really liked AK’s book.