Because Every Good Thing Takes Work

If you’ve been around since TLA was on the internet, chances are that you know the story of Amir & I.

Because Every Good Thing Takes Work | That Girl Myra

For the TL,DR version: In 2009, after living in Milwaukee for a year, I moved back to Houston to work with KPMG. Amir was the Senior Associate on the client that I was working on. And I was meant to be working with him for 2 YEARS on all the same clients, haha. Well, I was all gaga-eyed over him right after we met. And apparently, it was the same feelings on his end. Within 2 weeks of meeting, we went out for our first dinner. A month later, we celebrated our commitment ceremony. And (almost) a year to the date of us getting our first dinner together, we were married. Yup.

Needless to say, while we loved each other something fierce, getting married to a guy who I just barely knew was…well, a bit of a struggle. We are both stubborn, hardheaded, and independent individuals. And all that did was cause us to bicker over every little thing. The love we shared was tested because we didn’t know how to deal with being together.

But little by little, we worked on it. Because, marriage, just like every other relationship in our lives, takes work.

We spent time learning how to listen more, holler less. How to give more grace instead of accusing and pointing fingers. And then just as we got our footing, we up and moved overseas. And while this might’ve derailed some people, we were committed to using our move as a way to further strengthen ourselves.

We spent more days having dates, sitting together and enjoying a TV show, and eating dinner together while we (okay, fine, I) talked our ears off. We asked each other how the other was doing more often. And in times where we were frustrated, instead of freaking out on one another, we talked things through. LIKE ADULTS.

As the years have gone by, our marriage has gotten stronger. We have become the people we knew we could be. We didn’t let the fear of hard work scare us away from the commitment we made to each other 6 years ago.

To be honest, I could not be more proud of us or our marriage. Because even when things were tough, we knew that we had a good thing worth working for.

In giving it our best, we received the best in return.

Linking up here & here today.

February 9, 2017 at 2:58 PM

so well said my friend! gosh you two are like THE cutest couple. and nothing good comes easy. and everything good takes work = you nailed 🙂 we just have to remind ourselves more often of this very simple, but important part of life

February 21, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Thank you, sweets! We have definitely worked hard to bring our relationship to what it is today. I feel like once we give things the importance they deserve, they tend to flow just how they should. xo

February 9, 2017 at 6:09 PM

Leslie
    February 9, 2017 at 6:28 PM

I love this. Christian and I will have been together 7 years this year and it does take work. Some days/weeks/months are crazy easy and sometimes it’s just tough. Always remembering this is a good thing and worth it is how I get through those days, too! Also, forgive my ignorance, but what’s a commitment ceremony?

February 21, 2017 at 6:04 PM

You’re totally right! Some days/weeks/months are easy peasy, but it’s the ones where we have to work hard to be better that strengthens our bond.
      Not an ignorant question at all, friend! A commitment ceremony is where our families got together and agreed that we would get engaged and ultimately, married. We waited to have our engagement due to some family things, but the commitment ceremony basically acknowledged that we had the blessings of our immediate family. xo

February 9, 2017 at 8:39 PM

This is so sweet—and really inspiring! There are some pretty interesting parallels in your relationship and mine. I’ve always known that nothing good comes easy, everything worth having takes effort—maybe not all the time, and maybe not right away, but the rent will always be due. It’s good to see a couple so in love, so committed, and so happy, even though life doesn’t always come up roses. Cheers to you guys! xo

February 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Ohhh, tell me more, friend! I’d love to hear about the parallels in our relationships. I’m glad that we learned early on that we had to tend to and nurture our relationship for it to be better every day. You & your beau are so sweet together. I wish you both all the happiness in my heart! xo

ShootingStarsMag
    February 9, 2017 at 9:13 PM

Beautiful post! I’m not married yet, but I know that any marriage – or relationship – takes hard work. That’s great you were able to grow and adjust to each other. 🙂

-Lauren

February 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM

Thank you, sweet girl! Just like you said — any relationship takes hard work! Even if it’s just someone you’re friends with. I’ve seen so many friendships fail because one person refuses to put in the effort. xo

chelsea jacobs
    February 10, 2017 at 12:07 AM

I love this so much!! I think that sometimes people think that if it doesn’t come naturally, it’s not meant to be, and that’s just not true! You get out what you put in, you know?

Also, this may be an ignorant question, but what is a commitment ceremony??

February 21, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Yes, friend!! It’s so easy to walk away when it doesn’t go right all the time, but that kind of mentality sets you up for failure, you know? Everything takes work. Every relationship has to be nurtured to help it grow.

Not an ignorant question at all (and I’m sorry it took so long to reply to)! A commitment ceremony is where our families got together and agreed that we would get engaged and ultimately, married. We waited to have our engagement due to some family things, but the commitment ceremony basically acknowledged that we had the blessings of our immediate family. xo

texerinsydney
    February 10, 2017 at 12:58 AM

Visiting from the Stuff & Things link-up. What a lovely story of the two of you. After failed relationships and heartaches, I learned that the single most important thing (in MY experience) is a mutual commitment to the relationship…and that commitment includes being mutually committed to the work that is necessary to keep it going. Sounds like the two of you figured that out as well.

February 21, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Hi!! Thank you so much for stopping by! YES to what you’re saying about the mutual commitment. Regardless of the relationship, how can it be expected to grow into more if only one person is doing everything to make it work?! Looking forward to hopping over to your blog and learning more about you! xo