I Just Keep Showing Up

When 2017 kicked off, I said I would make this year the year of me. And from where I’m standing right now, it definitely feels like I’m making the most of my goal.

I Just Keep Showing Up | That Girl Myra

At the end of last year, I started going for runs. They weren’t long, painless, or at my normal pace. When the cold weather was still bearable, I would go for 6:30 am runs. When the morning cold became too much, I would go for 9:30 pm runs. Some days I would run 10 minutes, others 20. But, here we are a few months later, and I’m back to my normal pace. (AND, a couple of times now have even shaved 6 seconds off my time!) I can go for more miles without pain in my knee or my brain saying “just quit.” Whether it’s on the trail outside or the treadmill at the gym, I just keep showing up.

And then I started going to the gym more regularly. The first spin class I took late last year left me in a huffing, puffing, sweat-pouring-from-every-pore-of-my-body mess. But I can still remember leaving the class feeling accomplished. So one class became two, then 5, and now I’m a regular. I know the class will be intense. My body sometimes thinks it can’t take that full-resistance climb, but you know what — it can. So I don’t give myself a chance for excuses. Instead, I just keep showing up.

Today, I went to the gym, waved hello to a couple of my favorite trainers, and hopped on the treadmill. A mile later, it was time for the arms/back/ab beatdown, lol. As I focused on the rear delt machine, I had one trainer stop by to tell me I was looking strong. With a big goofy grin on my face, I said thank you. As I wrapped up the remainder of my workout with some tricep kickbacks, another one of the trainers stopped by to say my form was “on point.” He pointed out that he’s seen progress in me — not just in physical appearance, but in the workouts I do too. And as I thanked him and went to leave, he waved and said back — “Keep putting in the work. Keep showing up. The progress is visible.”

And there it is, y’all.

In everything I do this year, I’m going to remind myself to just keep showing up.

Joey
    February 7, 2017 at 2:17 PM

That’s how we got Bliss where it is, too, friend. We just kept showing up even when we didn’t feel like, didn’t know where we were going, and even on the bad days. So proud of you for always showing up! You’re motivating me to get back at it! The move was so soul sucking exhausting that I haven’t worked out in too many weeks.

February 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM

You’re totally right! I feel like the more I keep showing up — rain or shine, happy or sad, exhausted or energized — the more rewards I reap. You can definitely do it! That first run or yoga session might be exactly what you need to break in the new house/finish the exhaustion phase of your move! x

February 7, 2017 at 4:57 PM

keep showing up. YES girl yes. i am beyond frustrated with my running and knee issues that i’m finally getting it checked out. but instead of saying “oh i cant run anymore” nope, even if it requires surgery i WILL run again. I miss it. i’ll keep showing up if it kills me haha. so for now I walk 🙂 yeah my inspiring friend!

February 8, 2017 at 11:11 PM

I am so glad you’re getting those knees checked out, girlfriend! Hopefully all clear soon and then pain free running coming soon 🙂 Proud of you for pushing through and walking even if you can’t be running!! xoxo

February 7, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Sometimes that’s really all there is to it. I know that every run doesn’t have to be my strongest, fastest, most graceful. I just have to show up for them and the work is being done. The progress is happening. I am SO proud of you, because I know this is something you were really beating yourself up about before. Good for you!

February 8, 2017 at 11:13 PM

I have to say that you have been a main source of my push through the tough times. Your kind words and your encouragement to just put in 5 more minutes has truly helped change my perspective. Instead of beating myself up now, I give myself affirmation that I am DOING it and that is all that matters. One day at a time! xo

February 9, 2017 at 8:39 PM

I’m so happy to hear that! You go, woman!

Allison Arnone
    February 7, 2017 at 9:47 PM

Love this! I always had the same kind of thought when it came to working out – just GO. Go even if you’re completely shot and feeling tired/weak and only stay there for 30 min. It’s all about GOING (showing up, as you said) and having that small victory. I never cared about being at the gym for hours at a clip and killing myself; it was more of a mental thing. GOOD FOR YOU, ALI, YOU WENT. Even when you didn’t want to.

you go girl!

February 8, 2017 at 11:15 PM

Exactly!! Often I have to remind myself that if I can just get there, that is half the battle! Especially with the cold and no car situation here, I end up having to walk or ride my bike. I don’t even give myself 5 minutes to think about what I’m about to do, otherwise I’ll talk myself out of it. We totally got this! xo