Back to Blogging: What Makes Me Feel Peaceful

Back to Blogging AGB

I’m joining in with my friend, Alyssa, for the BackToBloggingAGB challenge!

Today’s prompt (for me): What makes you feel peaceful?

• Spending time with Amir, Sofia and Kobi. My little family might be crazy, but being around them keeps me sane.
  • The view from my office, i.e. the guest bedroom. I love seeing the bikers go by, the kids laughing with their parents, and the commuters with their windows down breathing in the crisp fall air.
  • Silence. It’s something I’ve learned to appreciate more after having a baby. Sitting still has never been my strong point, but I try to enjoy every moment I get of it these days.
  • A good book. Something about being engrossed in a book that pulls me into a different universe makes me unbelievably happy. It’s probably why I’ve also read Harry Potter about 8 times.
  • Not having a routine all the time. This is so against my Type-A, must plan every single thing out personality, but learning to (at-times) go with the flow has helped relieve me of some of the insane pressure I put on myself.
  • Ironing. Ridiculous, right? But I love zoning out as I go through the motions of ironing clothes. Folding them on the other hand…not so peaceful.
  • Snuggling into a warm blanket with my trusty cup of hot cocoa.
  • Turning my phone off. The constant need to check my phone is overwhelming. So when it’s off and the distraction is gone, I embrace it as much as I can.
  • Conversations with my parents and siblings. Whether it’s just a quick hello or a nice long discussion, there’s a nice comfort in talking to my family.
  • Texas. There is nothing that brings me peace like walking into the airport in Houston and hearing a familiar old country song. I love you, George Strait. I really really do.

As soon as I read this prompt, I made my list of things that bring me peace & I’m positive there are SO many more things. But what I realized in writing this post (which for honesty purposes took me way longer than it should have), is that I am a worrier & a busy person. And I don’t mean in the sense of “where has my time gone?” But moreso, that my brain seems to always be busy. If I’m not working, I’m taking care of Sofia things. When I’m not taking care of Sofia things, I’m cleaning up the house. And if I’m not cleaning up the house, I’m worrying about what to make for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

It’s a never-ending cycle.

With that realization in mind, I’ve decided it’s time to make “finding peaceful moments” a thing I should focus on more.

October 20, 2016 at 2:17 PM

silence yes. i mean it’s so difficult right? and i don’t even have anyone running around 🙂 i think it’s not weird that ironing is up there! your family is the cutest – i mean how can they not bring you all the peace!

Joey
    October 20, 2016 at 2:50 PM

I saw this prompt blogging challenge the other day and made a mental note to participate!! Love this, friend

Allison Arnone
    October 20, 2016 at 5:41 PM

silence – yes! i work in NYC and commute, so i’m around chaos and people ALL day. coming home to an empty apartment and just reveling in the silence is so, so peaceful (AND SO NECESSARY)

October 20, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Having a good view from where you sit to work, think, be creative, is so nice! It’s nice to have a constantly changing but not distracting background to get lost in thought in.

I SO agree on the routine thing! I schedule almost every single minute of some days, and it’s necessary, but sometimes leaving every list and time block at the door and just doing the day on feel is so much better—and definitely peaceful.

I’m so glad you had this realization while writing. It’s easy to be so caught up in having to be “on” in whatever role you’re in during each day that you forget about slowing down. That’s a common thread I’ve noticed in these posts: no one feels peaceful when they’re grocery shopping and trying to stay on budget, and then running to pick up the dry cleaning, and then mad-dash cleaning up the kitchen. We need to make time and give ourselves permissions to just shut off all distractions and be with ourselves and our loved ones and give ourselves these peaceful moments once in a while.

Duckie
    October 21, 2016 at 7:48 AM

I have three kids and silence is rare, but when you do get those moments they are sooooo good. Taking time to focus on nothing but yourself, even for just a few minutes, is something that all mothers need. I’m a planner freak so I plan the hell out of my months when it comes to work, kids programs, practices, parent-teacher conferences, little league games, playdates, birthday parties, etc. But, I try to keep my weekends as open as possible so I have room to breathe and be a little spontaneous so I don’t go insane.

October 21, 2016 at 4:52 PM

I’ve been trying to put my phone away more. When it’s readily available, I’m always looking at it. I’m trying to get it through my head that the notifications will still be there later. Ha!

Martina
    October 21, 2016 at 5:56 PM

The other day I came home to an empty, silent house and it was amazing. I fired up Netflix and zoned out for a while. You need that sometimes, just tuning out for a while.

Robin
    October 22, 2016 at 2:37 AM

I have all of the Harry Potter books on my phone (and regular paper copies on the bookshelf). I re-read chunks of them while waiting for something, or if I don’t feel like concentrating on a new book yet.

November 2, 2016 at 5:39 PM

HOW DO YOU HAVE ALL THE HP BOOKS ON YOUR PHONE?! I want to have them all on my phone right this exact moment. Someone recently mentioned how they listened to them all on audiobooks and now I’m really intrigued by that too, haha. <3