that baby thing

I’m Not a Genie in a Bottle, Please Don’t Ever Rub Me.

I don’t know if I never realized it before because I was completely oblivious to it or if I’m just in a general living area now where people think it’s totally acceptable, but ever since people started finding out I was pregnant (before I ever officially announced it), my stomach has become a hand-magnet.

And I am not okay with it at all.

Weird things people do to you in pregnancy the little aslam belly rubs
Oh and the unsolicited advice…my other favorite thing. Just wait, I’ve got a post on that coming soon too, haha.

Here’s the thing. I’m a pretty huggy, lovey person…with people I know. I have a tendancy to hug when I greet my friends & family, I tend to squeeze their shoulders sometimes if I’m messing around with them,  and I even sometimes touch people’s arms when I’m talking about something emphatically. But what I don’t do is invade someone’s personal space unless I know they are okay with it. Or unless I know you SO well that I am purposely trying to make you uncomfortable because we have that kind of established relationship.

Color me super shocked when the first time, around 16ish weeks or so, we went to a lunch party and a lady, who I have never, ever in my whole life, ever met, approaches me with “Ohhhh, I heard you were expecting” and then immediately shoves her hand onto my stomach. I was so shocked I didn’t even know how to react for a moment there. It was all in slow motion for me to come back to reality and realize that had actually happened and then that I should acknowledge her speaking to me and thank her for the congratulations.

And by the way, I wasn’t even showing at that time so unless I had previously told you myself that I was expecting, you just basically told everyone my news for me. Thanks a lot, thunder stealer.

I told Amir later how uncomfortable I had been in the situation because I didn’t even know the lady and I just felt like my personal space was invaded. I mean, come on, how would SHE have liked it if I had just walked up behind her, slapped her butt and said “Oh I heard you’ve been working out. Your butt looks good.” APPALLING, RIGHT?!

I also didn’t expect that as I got bigger that I would have this happening even more. But I have also become a completely stubborn brat now. I keep my arms around my stomach area when I meet people and I have gotten very good at a quick karate chop to keep people from touching me when I don’t know them & they try to beeline for my stomach.

Now on the other hand, I have had friends who’ve wanted to cop a feel, to which I think every single one of them has either asked or waited until I said it was okay before they even tried to touch me. And I’m okay with that. I know them. They know me. The permission was asked for and granted. It wasn’t just assumed that because I’m pregnant that everyone is suddenly allowed to touch me and do whatever they please as if I’m a cuddly goat at a petting zoo.

Maybe I’m rude. Maybe I’m being too direct and weird about this whole thing. But hey, it’s my belly and I’m not a genie, so I think I have the right to refuse someone who wants to rub me, don’t you think?

Has anyone ever uncomfortably invaded your personal space?! How did you handle it? Points if you went full ninja on them and then they never touched you again πŸ˜‰

Meg O.
    October 6, 2015 at 4:29 AM

Um no, that's not rude to think it's weird. Because it's totally weird. I have never had people touch my belly like that before (obviously when I was pregnant, lol)!

Tabitha Lee
    October 6, 2015 at 4:59 AM

I will never understand why people think it is ok to just reach out and touch a pregnant women. I think you are totally justified. πŸ™‚

Jenn
    October 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM

I don't think you're weird or rude…I think those other people are being weird and rude. They would never invade someone's personal space otherwise, why does it make a difference if you're pregnant? Haven't they heard of pregnancy hormones too?? haha

BLovedBoston
    October 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM

I think it's weird for people who don't know you to want to rub your belly – I always have a really hard time because I have tried to do this in the past and then realized how terrible it was LOL! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Kels @ BlonderSide
    October 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM

You are not alone friend, touching anyone stomach whether they're pregnant or not is extremely weird unless invited to do so. I promise never to do that to you lol

Joey @ Hodgespodges
    October 6, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Sorry, but I'm groping the hell out of you when I see you. It's happening. And LB is just going to have to deal. Joking, only sort of. <3

Kerri Taylor
    October 6, 2015 at 12:21 PM

this has always been the strangest thing for me. i've seen people do it and i'm horrified for the woman. i mean who TOUCHES someone else. ew. and i am a hugger too – but only with my friends. and even then i'm like eh. ha. but yeah, i just cannot with people and their pre-conceived notions of what is totally ok. bye felicia

Pamela {Sequins and Sea Breezes}
    October 6, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I feel like if some stranger came up to me and started rubbing my belly when I was pregnant I'd probably slap them. I don't know why people think that's ok! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

Nikki @ makeupHER
    October 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Omg girl that is not even in the realm of being ok! I wouldn't even come to you and say anything about being pregnant if you yourself didn't tell me, let alone rub your non-existent belly! As much as my coworkers let me rub their belly I never did even though I was curious lol! Hope this belly rubbing ends soon for you friend!

christina @ the new mrs
    October 6, 2015 at 2:32 PM

I wouldn't feel comfortable with this either! I don't know why people think it's okay to overstep boundaries like that!

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky
    October 6, 2015 at 5:07 PM

i look mad all the time so no one ever approaches me LOL

Brittany
    October 6, 2015 at 11:30 PM

I've never even had the urge to touch a persons pregnant belly haha. such a bizarre thing! I felt my cousins baby kick a couple of times but to just rub a belly?? Don't get it.

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee
    October 6, 2015 at 11:55 PM

"I mean, come on, how would SHE have liked it if I had just walked up behind her, slapped her butt and said "Oh I heard you've been working out. Your butt looks good." LMFAOOOOO This is awesome! But seriously… who touches a stranger like that?!?!

alyssa
    October 7, 2015 at 2:47 AM

Not rude of you at all to not want random people reaching out and just touching you like you're a friggin petting zoo. I would flip out. Do you watch The Office? I was just reminded of this shirt they gave Angela the Christmas she was pregnant: http://www.spreadshirt.com/ask-then-touch-from-the-office-women-s-t-shirts-C3376A8674095